Ever wondered what your perfect day would look like if you could just throw the rulebook out the window? Maybe you'd travel, work from a beach, or finally kickstart that side hustle. Picturing it? Awesome. Now, let me tell you, it doesn't just have to be a dream.
See, the thing is, most of the things we take as 'normal' – like that 9 to 5 grind – are just leftovers from the industrial revolution. Even our productivity is a square peg forced into a round hole, like trying to be a rockstar at 8 am when you're a night owl at heart.
But what if I told you that there was a better way? Challenge the norms and rewrite the rules to match your lifestyle, all while getting more done and enjoying the ride. Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, I'm here to share with you how I managed to do things differently, transforming my life, and boosting my productivity in ways I never thought possible.
This post is all about that – the principles and methods I've used to design my days, reducing stress, injecting joy, and making time for what matters. So, grab a cup of coffee (or beer, whatever floats your boat), and let's dive into how you can plan your perfect day.
Align with Your Chronotype
To plan your optimal daily schedule, it's crucial to understand and align with your Chronotype. Most of us work against our biological clock, causing us to perform below our full potential. Once you understand the "when," the "what" falls into place, and you can start creating a day that feels right.
- Take the free chronotype quiz
- Reflect on your daily energy levels and identify when you're most alert and productive.
- Reschedule activities to match your energy levels. If you're a morning person, schedule demanding tasks early. If you're an evening person, reserve deep work for later in the day.
- Check out your ideal Chronotype schedule here.
Schedule Your ‘Life’ First
Too often, our work ends up taking over our daily schedule. It's an easy trap to fall into, but by planning personal activities and relaxation first, we're actually fostering a healthier work-life balance. This strategy helps reduce stress and enhances overall satisfaction. Don't just take my word for it - productivity guru Neil Fiore, author of 'The Now Habit', argues that prioritizing fun leads to greater effectiveness in work. Plus, research supports this, showing that those who enjoy the most success make a conscious effort to allocate time for leisure and enjoyment.
- Throw away your traditional calendar and create an Unschedule.
- Block out time for activities that make you happy or help you relax.
- Purchase experiences in advance to make it more likely you'll follow through.
- Schedule recurring appointments for fun activities.
- Set aside a budget specifically for fun, guilt-free activities.
Work Around Your Strengths
Each of us is gifted with unique strengths and talents. When we gear our tasks towards these strengths, productivity goes through the roof. Not only does the quality of our work significantly improve, but we also find a whole lot more joy in what we're doing (Easy is life showing you what to add).
- Discover how you’re wired and turn strengths into superpowers.
- Identify your highest leverage tasks that utilize your unique strengths.
- Choose one or two daily practices that leverage your strengths and schedule them into your calendar.
- If you're a morning person, consider doing these tasks first when willpower is highest. If you're an evening person, align these tasks with your peak energy period.
Plan By Sequence, Not Time
Rather than a rigid time-based daily schedule, consider ordering your tasks by priority and energy level. This provides flexibility and reduces stress, especially when unexpected events disrupt your plans.
- Identify your top three most important tasks of the day (Related: Goal Setting How-To: Transform Your To-Do List with the 3-3-3 Rule).
- Once identified, perform these tasks in order of importance.
- Keep moving from one task to another without strict time constraints. This offers a sense of freedom and flexibility in your day.
Designing your perfect day might seem impossible at first, but with a little bit of introspection and the right planning tools, it's entirely achievable. By understanding your body's natural rhythms, prioritizing fun, leveraging your unique strengths, and planning by sequence, you'll set the stage for a fulfilling, productive, and less stressful day.
Remember, your ideal day won't look like anyone else's—and that's okay. This process is about making the most out of your days in a way that aligns with your lifestyle, preferences, and goals. As you start to implement these principles, you'll likely find your days becoming more enjoyable and productive.
So, what are you waiting for? Use these principles as a guide to design your perfect day, and start experiencing more joy, fulfillment, and success in your life. The only person who can make your perfect day a reality is you!"